Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Long Range XBee PRO XSC testing, Part 2

It has been awhile since my original post about seeing how large of a distance I can get two XBee PROs to communicate, but since coming across two nice 902 - 928Mhz ISM band 9 element yagi antennas I figured it was time to give it a try.


My plan is to mount two XBee PRO XSCs each to one of the yagis mounted on tripods. A small ttl to serial interface will be needed at each end which will allow interfacing to laptops. These setups will need to be as portable as possible. With each setup I will be able to set them up easily at any location (the tripod / antenna / XBee and interface, along with a laptop will be the only items needed) and test signal strength and communication using the XBee X-CTU application.

I finished the first ttl to serial converter tonight, only one more to make:




The final step will be to find two locations that are line of sight and up to 15 miles apart using topographical data. 15 miles is a long way, so I will be starting with a five mile distance. As soon as it warms up I will be giving the range test a try. I'm hoping to reach the 15 mile range Digi states that these modules are capable of, but even further would be better. :D

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if your XBee XSR worked with a distance of 15 miles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if your XBee XSR worked with a distance of 15 miles?

    ReplyDelete